When the term "socially distant" first came into our collective lexicon it was something totally new. The thought that we had to stay away from human contact was pretty foreign to all of us, after all for many of us human connection is just as necessary as breathing.
No matter how much reopening is done, we will still need to remain socially distant. Now that we've been at this for a while we have a better understanding of what it really means to be socially distant while also being able to connect. That is why this summer as the weather warms, we can start to do socially distant things that are safe and will keep us healthy, but that will also allow us to connect.
Here are some ideas that you can do this summer so you can connect with your friends while also following your state's guidelines to stay safe.
- Go for a walk: This is the best socially distant thing you can do. You can control your distance from each other very easily and as long as you are not in a terribly dense area you can avoid contact with others.
- A beach day: The beach is one of the best places to go to stay socially distant and it can be a LOT of fun. You'll want to keep your beach blankets apart, but you can spend all day tanning and having fun.
- Outdoor movie night/Drive-in movie: Whether you have an outdoor movie setup or are near a local drive-in, watching a movie outside lets you stay your six feet apart while also enjoying one of the best things to do with a friend, watch a movie.
- Picnic: Packing a lunch and heading out to your favorite quiet spot will let you connect with your friend outdoors and enjoy a yummy meal.
- Go for a bike ride: Riding bikes can be invigorating and is one of the best ways to connect, socially distant, with your friends.