For people suffering from spring allergies, fresh glowing skin may seem like an impossibility. While some of us delight in the rainbow of flowers blooming, these people cringe as they start to feel puffy scratchy eyes. Then, the cracky dryness that comes from constantly wiping their noses arrives alongside the itchy painful skin.
Why doesn’t my skin feel as healthy in the spring?
Pollen is everywhere during the spring season as trees, flowers and grasses release the magical yellow particles into the air with the hope of taking root. When our bodies breathe this in, about 40% of us recognize pollen as a foreign substance and our immune systems kick in to protect us. Our bodies release histamines which boost blood flow to the “infected” area with the intention of helping us heal. These then stay in various parts of the body causing inflammation, extra mucus or dryness while our bodies work to repair the damage from the foreign matter. The result of all of this can leave you sore, red, flaky and itchy.
Return to fresh vibrant skin.
Of course, it’s natural that your skin may become less fresh-looking during this time of year. As you fight the discomforting symptoms of springtime allergies, you do damage to your skin. You’re constantly wiping and rubbing and itching, so it’s important to adjust your skincare routine to help soothe the symptoms and revitalize your appearance.
- Soothe puffy eyes and dark circles. Runny itchy eyes should first be treated with drops. These help minimize your symptoms and reduce the need to constantly wipe away excess tears. Then, properly moisturizing and improving the surface reflection of your eyes with Clear Eye #1, as well as naturally improving improving circulation with Clear Eye #2, will restore a healthy youthful look.
- Perk up dull dry skin. For most people, the skin surrounding their noses takes abuse as they fight the symptoms of springtime allergies, so make sure to use a tissue that contains aloe to prevent any excessive soreness. Other people have a more generalized response to pollen that leaves their skin itchy and dull. Regardless of the symptoms you experience, moisturization offers relief. A moisturizer for normal to dry skin, particularly one that is paraben, phthalate and fragrance free, will restore your vibrant glow and calm the discomfort.
- Reduce wrinkles around the eyes. Believe it or not, wrinkles can result from allergies. All of the rubbing and itching around the eyes does damage. Take care of these before they decide to stick around with a repairing serum. An anti-wrinkle serum will improve your skin’s elasticity and firmness leaving you with healthier glowing skin.
Address the underlying causes of your springtime allergies.
Of course, moisturization and a good skincare routine can go a long way toward keeping your skin fresh looking during spring. However, it’s also important to take preventative measures so that you don’t get so worn down and uncomfortable in the first place. Suggested measures include:
- Antihistamines. Talk to your doctor about medicines that can reduce your body’s response to allergens in the first place. Many are available over-the-counter.
- Reduce your stress. Stress causes the release of histamines. If you’re a seasonal allergy sufferer, it’s important to keep the histamines under control. Take steps to remove stress from your life.
- Nighttime skincare routine. If you don’t already embrace a skincare routine in the evening, now is the time. It will remove the excess pollen and irritants from your skin so that you have an allergen-free restorative sleep.
- Eat well and drink water. General good health can help your body fight off symptoms, so take heed of recommendations that encourage good eating and proper hydration.
- Consider indoor activities and close up windows. The less pollen you encounter, the more comfortable you will be.
- Take a break from contact lenses. Allergens can become stuck to lenses which means that they can easily stay in contact with the eye. Wearing glasses is a good alternative that may help minimize eye discomfort.
Who says seasonal allergies need to leave you dull and drained? Take back your springtime glow. Enjoy fresh looking skin by taking steps to properly moisturize and by reducing your exposure to pollen (or other allergens). By following these suggestions, you too can embrace the sweet rainbow of color that is popping up everywhere and feel the energetic revitalizing spirit of the season while still having fresh looking skin.