I am a dog lover. I have a little boy who follows me wherever I go and he is my right hand. Working from home these past nine months just wouldn't have been the same without him by my side. So, of course, when I found out that it was National Make A Dog's Day Day I had to pamper him just a little bit.
Multiple studies have shown the benefits of interacting with pets and how it reduces your stress levels. I have seen that in my own life. When I've been on a Zoom call and feeling a little uneasy about something happening with work, I call my pooch over and give him a little pet which calms me down.
Today I am treating him right for all the times he has treated me. If you have a dog at home, I would encourage you to do the same thing.
Here are a couple of small things you can do to make your dog's day today.
- Take him/her for an extra long walk
- Allow him/her on the couch next to you...just this once
- Give him/her a new blanket or bed to sleep in that is cozy and warm
- Extra treats...did somebody say treats...WOOF! WOOF!
- Cut up a little grilled chicken for his/her dinner tonight, it's still healthy, but what a treat
- Take him/her to the dog park for some additional companionship
- Play fetch
- Buy him a new toy
These are just some of the things you can do to make today a special day for your dog. Dogs will give you companionship for a lifetime and so it is our job on this one day a year to make their day brighter then usual.
Pssst...don't forget dogs love treats...